Monday, August 15, 2011

Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room


I finally got to visit the much talked about Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room when my good friend Namrata came to town.  Want some true southern cooking?  This is your place.  Every weekday masses line up in front of the old boardinghouse to get a taste of the delicious food they can smell from the street.


As 11:30am approached, Namrata and I headed down the beautiful tree-lined path to take our place in line for lunch.  We waited about 1.5-2 hours.  The dining room is open Monday-Friday, 11am to 2pm.  The sun was hot and the line seemed endlessly long, but every person leaving the dining room encouraged us by saying it was worth the wait.  And who better to judge than those who have already waited? :)

Once we got inside, we were seated at a table with 7 other people (I think each table holds 10).  You sit and dine with strangers, which actually is kind of fun (unless you have awkward people at your table, lol.).  They bring out tons of sides and meat to eat, along with sweet tea to wash it all down.  I couldn't get enough of the bread- it was warm, buttery, and oh so good.  You just pass the bowls around the table, sharing everything with your neighbor.  I tried to get a little of everything on my plate, but it was just too much food!  You definitely want to come hungry!



After the main meal, they bring out dessert.  There was barely room for my banana pudding, but I stuffed it in there some how.  Overall, I thought the place really lived up to what I had heard about it.  I thoroughly enjoyed my southern cooking, though I'm not sure my stomach was happy that I put so much of it down my throat!

         
If you are in the Savannah area on a weekday, this is definitely some grub you are going to want to indulge in!  Just don't forget to get there early and bring cash because they do not accept charge cards!

On a completely different note, Namrata went fishing with me and caught her first fish!  And this was probably the first fish I think I've ever had to take off the hook by myself, so I was very proud of the both of us!  :) 


Also, yesterday was my one year anniversary with my hubby!  I am so lucky to have met someone who can put up with me!  He is kind, patient, loving, and so many other things.  I am excited for everything we will experience together in the future (including our anniversary celebration vaca in New York coming up soon!).

 

1 comment:

  1. Yum, I want to go eat there! And that tree-covered walkway is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete